Thursday 23 February 2012

Date #21: Subtle Scottish Arrogance

Date  21 of 29.

NAME: Subtle Scottish Arrogance
AGE:  24
OCCUPATION:  Researcher
TYPE: Tall Pale Nerdy trying to be stylish
NATIONALITY: Scottish
DATE RATING: 1 Star

I just could not be bothered (didn’t care) with this one.  We had been chatting for probably 5 months online and just never got around to meeting up, but today we finally did. I wish we didn’t.  From his pictures he looked SO nice and just my type.  Boy were they deceiving.  He was subtly bitchy and rather arrogant but tried to play it off with jokes.  He was just a bit humdrum.  

Recently, he had been seeing a guy for a bit and had just been broken up with.  Even though he kept saying how he was “fine” and okay”, I could tell it was not the case.  He went into this story about how he got hit on this past Monday and just tore into this guy and wasn’t having any of it.  All due to his past breakup. There were spouts of anger tied in with bitterness and it wasn’t pleasant.  His thick scottish accent didn't help. Throughout the date when he wasn’t talking about his recent break-up, it was different stories of guys hitting on him and being in love with him.  That is one of the biggest turn-offs for me. You obviously think you’re hot shit if you feel the need to tell me how often guys hit on you. 

It actually turns out that we’ve been on a date with the same guy.  It was one of the strangest dates I’d ever been on. I told him how he was a psycho asshole.  He told me how the guy said he was in love with him on their first date.  That confirmed his psychotic nature and brought back a horrid memory that I had forgotten until today.  Maybe I should play matchmaker and put those two back together. What a psycho arrogant love fest that would be... 

LIKELIHOOD OF 2ND DATE: No.

Until we rendezvous again,

GoodbyeUntilTomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Bo,
    I just wanted to thank you for your riveting analysis of our date. It's really enlightening to read that when I go on an asbolute trainwreck of a coffee date, that it isn't all in my own head.
    I guess I had never thought to write such a blog about dates as awful as the one you provided because I was raised with the basis of respect to other people, and the understanding of dignity as a basic principle.
    I mean, I could have listed how you were relentless in your pursuit of a date that you "could not be bothered" with, looked nothing like your pictures, and how your demenour left plenty to be desired.
    I could have mentioned that I made you fully aware that I had just ended dating someone else two days beforehand, whom was the gentleman who notified me about this blog - yet you were even more keen to meet me with this knowledge. Men at their most vulnerable and insecure, it seems, make for better blog posts.
    I could have pointed out that the same "pyscho" we dated had warned me against dating you. Maybe I should have shared with you his version of events of your own date which also differed significantly from yours. But I won't - because I think to do so is disrespectful to his privacy and to your name - which is obviously an ethos not shared by you.
    The funny thing is, if god forbid it came down to "i love you" on the first date or this sheer self-serving obnoxiousness, I know what i'd pick any day.

    Good luck in your search.
    Subtle Scottish Arrogance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Subtle Scottish,

    This blog was about my personal adventures of dating in London from my perspective. It was never intended to "disrespect" anyone. I don't think it did as your identities were never revealed and your privacy never breached. Personal information was never compromised. I did this so others feeling the same frustrations of dating in London could read my experiences within the same dating scene. This blog was based on my own personal journey and it just so happened that I made it public.

    Take care and I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,

    Im here speak as Date 12, and if anything I found this whole blog to be amazing. I'm actually gutted that I didn't think of this idea before.

    In response to Subtle Scottish, I'm backing Bo's corner here, as he rightly said he hasn't told anyone who you are and I don't think he disrespected you at all. There's no pointing, its just an honest review of a date that didn't go to plan. Sure there's two sides to every story, just so happens that Bo's side wasn't what you may of liked to hear. If it was a good date, Im sure you wouldn't be writing your feedback to Bo, but instead feeling rather smug about yourself. If anything your bringing more attention to yourself now.

    I'm not at all bothered with the world knowing who I am, Bo pretty much described me by highlighting my two big give aways. Im Joseph Fletcher, yeah my date with Bo was one of the nicer ones, and yes I knew about the Blog, but I didn't use this to gain brownie points. I went on a date with Bo as myself, doing what I would normally do, my style, my way. But lets not forget that we all go through bad dates..... who to say the next person isn't writing a blog for the world to see? The internet is filled with stuff about us that we may not want people to know. Facebook is a huge example.

    And for the record...... Bo looks exactly like his pictures. Better in fact.

    I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, neither do i want to get involved, but I just felt that I should voice an opinion.

    Subtle Scottish, I have no doubt that your a nice man, and I have no doubts that you can be charming, funny and caring. And im sorry to hear of your recent break up. Maybe Bo just caught you at a very bad time.

    Bo, I don't see what you don't wrong, as far as Im concern, you just written one side of the story and it just so happens to be the bitter side. If you written a not so good review on our date, I still wouldn't of cared cos at least then I would know where I was going wrong and to why Im still single. lol.

    To the world, take things with a pinch of salt! Cut the drama!

    Date 12 - Joseph

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Joseph,

    You are probably right that I shouldn't have responded, but irrespective of if it was a positive or negative review of our meeting (I wouldn't have called it a date) it's not so much a breach of privacy, as it is a breach of common decency and respect.

    I have nothing more to voice on Bo or this blog, but the fallout from someone reading and identifying me from this blog have had terminal repercussions on an already precarious friendship with the person mentioned.

    It's this reckless abandon in the consideration of the effects and feelings of such a blog that I believe, make it all a poorer reflection on it's writer than any of the dates mentioned.

    Good Luck Bo in your search for love, but i suspect that search might have to begin introspectively for true happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why did you even meet this arrogant guy if you knew you would have a nerdy date experience? naughty online dating ?

    ReplyDelete