Wednesday 15 February 2012

Date #14: Pompous Twat

Date  14 of 29.

NAME: Pompous Twat
AGE:  29
OCCUPATION: PhD Student
TYPE: Balding Buggy-Eyed 
NATIONALITY: British
DATE RATING:  2  Stars

First off I've had a few comments so I thought I'd acknowledge them.  I didn’t schedule a date yesterday.  There was just no way I was going to go on a first date on Valentine’s Day. But do not worry, there will be 29 dates.

Now... today’s was one of the strangest dates I’ve ever been on.  It wasn’t because the guy’s personality was overly weird, but just what happened during.  Pompous Twat is a PhD student at a prestigious university.  He is writing his dissertation on something that no one in their right mind would care to read. Granted, it has never been studied before and there is a reason for that.

We met at a lovely coffee shop that I have never been to and I find out ten minutes into the date that he is “seeing” a guy who I happen to have been chatting with online dating.  I just had to tell him and strangely enough he was fine with it.  I just found the whole situation a bit odd. I wanted to crawl away and leave at that moment.  Instead we kept chatting. He seemed nice at the beginning, but his inner asshole subtly snuck in about halfway through the date.  He asked me if I went out clubbing much and I told him why I choose not to. Basically it boils down to my insecurities and bad past experiences. Then we start to chat about why I’m single. He actually had the audacity to say “I don’t know why. You’re good looking AND you can hold a conversation!” as if that’s a COMPLIMENT! Who says that?! Do I look like I wouldn’t be able to talk about anything other than shopping and Paris Hilton?! That sad thing is this isn’t the first time I’ve been told this by British men.  I really don’t understand. 

Towards the end, we started discussing things in the world. Politics (not my favourite subject), theatre and love etc.  It was then that I discovered he was one of those academic assholes that argues just to argue. He just wanted to be a fire starter to get a rise out of me. After a few rounds of this I decided I’d had enough. What a prick. 

LIKELIHOOD OF 2ND DATE: Zilch. 

Until we rendezvous again,

GoodbyeUntilTomorrow. 

2 comments:

  1. Oy-vey! Good choice on ditching that date, someone can only handle a prick so long before it really starts to be a pain! Sorry the date sucked, can't wait for another! Better luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. is that a really british thing? I've definitely had that said to me and I wasn't really offended - i think it's more a reflection on the shockingly low number of guys that do have brains and looks. maybe it's just britishness gone wrong

    ReplyDelete